Artwork‎ > ‎

Current Work Blog


Restoring a Steamer Trunk

posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:15 PM by Robyn Briggs   [ updated Apr 8, 2011, 5:52 AM ]

So I picked up this old steamer trunk at a family friend's yard sale. I think they were sad to part with it, as it was their grandmother's trunk who came over to the USA from Romania with it, but I think they were glad to give it to a friend, who will take good care of it! So I've started to restore it, I'm not done yet, so far I've sanded down all of the wood and on some of the wood there was this canvas glued to the wood, so I've carefully pulled all that off and sanded down the wood, inside and out. 

    


The next step is to restore some of the hardware and then stain and seal it. Oh and this is going to become the coffee table in our living room, so I'd like to find a piece of glass to place on top.

Sketchbook Project - Space Gallery - Portland, ME

posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:06 PM by Robyn Briggs   [ updated Apr 8, 2011, 5:52 AM ]

This past weekend my  husband and I drove up to Portland, ME to see my first ever piece in a gallery. I participated in the sketchbook project, where I had to fill a sketchbook based on a certain theme. My theme was "below the surface" and I decided to cut out a small hole in the first page and each page I'd cut out a slightly larger hole and then a slightly larger hole and so on and so forth, until I reached the end of the book. As you turned the pages the holes created a really neat layered design that looked like you were looking down into the pages of the book. Here are some pics of the event this weekend.

    

   




Tide Clock

posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:58 PM by Robyn Briggs   [ updated Apr 8, 2011, 5:52 AM ]

I've recently completed a tide clock for my dad for his birthday. I wanted this to be something that he would hang at his house on Cape Cod so I decided to use the nautical map of the area and transfer it on to a piece of wood and then add the tide clock mechanism to it. The tide clock mechanism was a bit tricky as I had to route out a good bit of the back of the wood in order for the proper amount of the mechanism to come through the front. I think it came out pretty well for a first time. The only thing I'd like to add is some polyurethane to seal the map on the wood and to help seal in the bark.


1-3 of 3